The objective of the Society is to advance the knowledge for population health. Social medicine is the study of health in its widest sense. It covers a range of subjects including medicine, epidemiology, sociology, psychology, the medical and health needs of society, health services, and the prevention of disease.
Membership of the Society is open to anyone whose work is consistent with this objective. For an application to join the Society, the Honorary Treasurer or Committee requires evidence of eligibility, consisting usually of endorsement by a current member, or a referee, confirming accounts of relevant research and/or teaching and/or position held. We have a number of committees representing different stages of members’ careers (Early Career Researchers, Middle Career Researchers and Senior Career Researchers), these committees focus on the relevant issues to that career stage.
Anyone wishing to join the Society should complete the membership application form by clicking the link below. Applications for membership are considered by the Honorary Treasurer and subsequently confirmed at Committee meetings.
The membership subscription is currently £45 for ECRs or £60 for non-ECRs p.a. Subscription rates apply to a calendar year and are due annually on 1st January. New membership starting after the ASM within any year constitutes membership for the rest of that year plus the whole of the following year.
Some of the likely benefits of being an SSM member are highlighted below:
- Great conference with reduced conference fees for SSM members
- Mentoring opportunities
- Supportive and friendly community
- Opportunity for developing networks and collaborations
- Tailored ECR events – writing retreats, ECR day, online seminars
- One-day workshops
- Ability to opt-in to membership of EUPHA
- Reduced IEA membership
- Access to the SSM website newsletter, and blog with opportunities to promote your own work and learn from others
- Access to SSM Twitter that will advertise your work if you tag us with publications or hiring opportunities
Join us now. For more information, please please contact the SSM membership administrator on 01423 529333 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.