The objective of the Society is advance knowledge for population health. Social medicine is the study of health in its widest sense. It covers a range of subjects including epidemiology, the medical and health needs of society, health services, and the prevention of disease.
Membership of the Society is open to anyone whose work is consistent with this objective. For an application to join the Society, the Honorary Treasurer or Committee requires evidence of eligibility, consisting usually of endorsement by a current member, or a referee, confirming accounts of relevant research and/or teaching and/or position held.
Anyone wishing to join the Society should complete the membership application form by clicking the link ‘Join the Society’ below. Applications for membership are considered by the Honorary Treasurer and subsequently confirmed at Committee meetings.
The membership subscription is currently £35 p.a. Subscription rates apply to a calendar year and are due annually on 1st January. New membership starting after the ASM within any year constitutes membership for the rest of that year plus the whole of the following year.
Benefits of membership include:
- Reduced registration costs for the annual SSM conference, plus one day meetings and workshops
- Support for early career researchers through networking, mentoring, and academic and career development opportunities
- Monthly email of SSM news, job opportunities, conferences and training courses
- Quarterly newsletter with articles on topical issues and events relating to social medicine
- Membership of the European Public Health Association, reduced registration costs for the annual EUPHA Conference and free access to the European Journal of Public Health
- Become part of a professional organisation and interact with a wide range of people with similar research and policy interests
To update your membership details and contact information, please click here and log in using your unique log in details which were emailed to you.
Any problems, please email firstname.lastname@example.org